Universal Pictures’s The Boy DVD Release Date is Set for May 10, 2016.
Available on store shelves and online everywhere this May comes STX Entertainment’s The Boy. The Boy DVD release date is set for May 10, 2016. It’s also available on Blu-ray™ with Digital HD and Ultraviolet. Pricing has been set at $19.99 and $24.99, respectively for the DVD and Blu-ray™ versions. You can pre-order them on the STX Entertainment website.
Review: The film stars Lauran Cohan from AMC’s The Walking Dead as Greta Evans. She’s been hired as a nanny for a boy named Brahms Heelshire. To her surprise, the boy isn’t real but rather a doll of their deceased 8-year old son. The Heelshire’s have gone through many nannies and now they’ve finally found one who Brahms likes. Yes, it’s creepy.
Greta has left the Americas to hide from an abusive ex-boyfriend named Cole. You may recognize him from the current season of Vikings. As she arrives at their estate, she meets Malcolm, the local grocer to the Heelshire’s. He drops off the weekly groceries and is a bit creeped out by Brahms as well. And yes, he takes a liking to Greta. It wouldn’t be much of a film if there wasn’t any romance to go along with the suspense.
Now, I’m not going to ruin anything for you the reader/viewer. What I can say is that both Greta and Malcolm come to believe the doll is the living spirit of Brahms. What happens over the next hour should suck you in and occasionally scare you. I’ll also add that what takes place in the final half hour is something I didn’t see coming.
The filmed is set in the estate of Mr. and Mrs. Heelshire in the English countryside. In addition to a studio set, it’s actually filmed at the beautiful Craigdarroch Castle in Victoria, British Columbia.
I give the filmmakers plenty of credit here. The film is beautifully shot and edited with excellent pacing. The best thing I can say about this film is that I would not only watch it again, but I would recommend it to others. It’s a great way to spend a little over an hour-and-a-half of your evening.
- Lauren Cohan as Greta Evans
- Rupert Evans as Malcolm
- Jim Norton as Mr. Heelshire
- Diana Hardcastle as Mrs. Hellshire
- Ben Robson as Cole.
- Jett KlyneKlyne as Brahms
- Lily Pater as Emily Cribs
- Directed By: William Brent Bell
- Written By: Stacey Menear
- Produced By: Tom Rosenberg, Gary Lucchesi, Richard Wright
- Executive Producers: Eric Reid, David Kern, John Powers Middleton, Robert Simonds, Adam Fogelson, Oren Aviv, Wang Zhongjun, Wang Zhonglei, Donald Tang
- Producers: Jim Wedaa, Roy Lee, Matt Berenson
- Production Designer: John Willett
- Director of Photography: Daniel Pearl, ASC
- Edited By: Brian Berdan, ACE
- Casting By: Julie Hutchinson, CSA
- Music By: Bear McCreary
- Costume Designer: Jori Woodman
TECHNICAL INFORMATION BLU-RAY™ / DVD:
- Street Date: May 10, 2016
- Copyright: 2016 Universal Pictures Home Entertainment
Selection Number: 64178542 (US) / 64177382 (US)
- Layers: BD-50 / Dual Layer
- Aspect Ratio: Anamorphic Widescreen 2.40:1 / Widescreen 2:40:1
- Rating: PG-13 for violence and terror, and for some thematic material
- Languages/Subtitles: English, Spanish, French
- Sound: DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 / Dolby Digital 5.1
- Run Time: 1 Hour, 38 Minutes
FTC Disclosure: Universal Picture Home Entertainment (UPHE) provided Beantown LLC with one copy of The Boy of Blu-ray™/Digital HD for review purposes. We’re not paid ambassadors. Our opinions are 100% their own.
All photographs are the copyrighted property of UPHE and/or STX Entertainment.
Enjoy this trailer from STX Entertainment.