Best Wireless Earbuds Under $50?
It seems like every month there’s a new wireless Bluetooth headset on the market. A few months back, the folks at Edifier, the speaker and headset brand, joined the never-ending party and introduced their TWS2 truly wireless earbuds. With features such as 12 hours of battery, Bluetooth 5.0, and a sub-$50 list price, these earphones offer much to the consumer. So without further delay, let’s take a closer look at this Edifier TWS2 earbuds review.
• High-quality audio
• Dual touch control design
• Price under $50
• IPX4 splash-proof rating
• 12 hours of total battery life
• Charging case does not have a USB-C connection
• No volume control
Edifier TWS2 Earbuds Review
What You Need To Know About Operation
- To power on the TWS2, remove both earbuds from the charging case and gently place them in your ears. If you don’t have the case, press the multi-function button down for 5 seconds.
- When powering down the TWS2, place them back into the case, and they will turn off. Without the case, press and hold the multi-function button down for 5 seconds, and they will turn off.
- To charge the headphones, place them into the charging case. There are three white lights on the front of the case indicating the percentage level of charge for the case. The earbuds themselves have charging lights. A red light indicates charging while a blue light indicates a full charge.
- Playtime lasts for 3 hours. Charging of the headphones takes up to 1.5 hours.
- On the backside of the case is the USB-A charging port. The case provides 9 hours of battery.
- For Bluetooth pairing to your mobile device, go into your Bluetooth Settings, locate “Edifier TWS2” and pair them. You can use one or both earbuds.
- To control music, press the multi-function button on the right earbud to play/pause, and twice to advance a track. To go to the previous track, press the multi-function button on the left earbud twice. Advance and previous track do not work
- To control phone calls, press the multi-function button to answer and disconnect calls, thrice to go to a voice assistant. To reject a call, press and hold the button.
Design and Features
Per the Edifier website, “enjoy all the benefits that come with the newest in Bluetooth 5.0 streaming technology. That means up to twice the speed, 4 times the range, and 8 times the capacity of older Bluetooth devices.”
The Edifier TWS2 earbuds come with a hard plastic outer shell with a multi-function push-button on each side. In testing, the buttons worked well and as designed. The charging case appears to be the same hard plastic as the earbuds. The earbud holders have magnetic catches so as you place them into the case; they snap into place. If you were to hold the case upside down and try to shake the earbuds loose, you would likely fail. You would need a fast motion with a sudden stop to jar them loose.
The TWS2 is complemented with three pairs of ear tips (Edifier calls them earmuffs) and a charging cable. The product is currently available in three colors: black, red, and white.
The comfort level of the earbuds is rather good, but they don’t fit as snug into my ears as I would like, so I don’t recommend them for use during exercise. I would suggest the TWS3 earbuds as it offers a sweat-proof design. The outer portion of the earbuds do protrude a bit from your ears, but then again, whose pair doesn’t.
If you’ve not worn this type of earphone before, there’s little-to-no learning curve with respect to the multi-function buttons.
• Driver Type: Dynamic 8 mm per ear
• Waterproof Rating: IPX4 Splash-Proof
• Frequency Response: 20 Hz – 20 kHz
• Bluetooth Profiles: A2DP, AVRCP, HFP, HSP
• Bluetooth Version: 5.0
• Impedance: 32Ω
• Sensitivity: 94 dB
• Battery Life: Up to 3 Hours
• Battery type: Rechargeable Polymer Li-ion
• Charging Case Battery: 9 Hours
• Charging Case Charge Time: 1.5 Hours
• Charging Case Battery: Rechargeable
• Available in Black, White, Red
What’s In The Box?
• Charging Case
• Quick Start Guide
• 3 Pairs of Ear Tips
Amazon Music Playlist
• Tove Lo – Queen Of The Clouds
• Halsey – hopeless fountain kingdom
• Queen – Bohemian Rhapsody Soundtrack
• The Black Keys – El Camino
• Play List – Dark Pop
• Play List – Krewella and More
As I often state, the most critical factor regarding headphones is sound quality. The Edifier TWS2 earbuds were tested across music from the artists and playlists listed above. Minus two changes, it’s the same play list we used for the JBL Endurance PEAK in-ear sports headphones.
Over the past month, I’ve been testing these wireless earbuds listening to all sorts of songs with my Amazon Music account.
Additionally, I gave them a go around the gym during weights and cardio workouts. While I greatly enjoyed the former, I don’t recommend the latter. Even though they’re sweat-proof garnering an IPX4 rating, I don’t believe the TWS2 is best designed for use during exercise, particularly cardio.
The first test was on how well could these earbuds handle (keyboard, drum, and guitar) bass from the like of Krewella and Bassnectar. The bass clarity even at the highest volume with the Samsung Galaxy S9 was impressive. Songs like Promises by Skrillex, and Boombox and Rabbit’s Revenge by Bassnectar delivered big time! If I didn’t have to complete the review, I would have kept listening to more from Cozza Frenzy.
For a $50 product, I was blown away! The TWS2 packs plenty of oomph. The audio was high-quality and distortion-free.
Take a listen to Halsey’s album hopeless fountain kingdom or Queen Of The Clouds from Tove Lo, the latter being my favorite artist. I believe you’ll be equally impressed with the vocal reproduction of the TWS2.
From a physical design perspective, I found these earbuds to be comfortable in and around the ear and very portable in its small charging case.
Audio life of three hours is more than enough to cover one day’s worth of bus or subway commutes plus a lunch break. The charging case increases its life by another nine hours without the need to recharge. The audio quality is quite good with its 20 Hz – 20 kHz range.
As I often state, you get what you pay for. The $50 list price is more than fair. I’m surprised these earbuds don’t list at a higher price.
• Features – 4.25
• Value – 4.75
What do you think of this Edifier TWS2 earbuds review? Do you agree or disagree with our verdict? Let us know in the comment section below or via social media. We’re eager to hear your thoughts.
• Follow Edifier on Facebook
• Follow Edifier on Instagram
• Follow Beantown on Facebook
• Follow Beantown on Instagram
Don’t hesitate to head over to the Edifier’s social media pages to see their latest announcements. To learn more about warranties, click this Warranty Terms link for information. These headphones come with a two-year limited warranty. To learn about returns, click this Returns Policy link for more details.
FTC Disclosure: Edifier provided Beantown with one (1) TWS2 Bluetooth Earbuds sample for review purposes. This writer’s opinion is 100% his own and not a paid product ambassador.
All photographs are the copyrighted property of Beantown LLC © 2019.